- Switching off Cortana will impact search function
- You can turn off Cortana’s data collection in Settings
- Use group policy editor to disable it completely
Microsoft has made its digital personal helper – Cortana – more integral to Windows 10 with every major upgrade. Apart from searching your computer, it exhibits notifications, can send e-mails, arranged reminders, and do all of that using your speech. Some might find it too intrusive though, and would like to carefully turn the helper off.
When you could turn off Cortana with a single toggle in the days before the Wedding anniversary Update, that’s no more possible. And with the recent Glass windows 10 Creators Update, disabling Cortana can entirely break search, regarding to records, with the only path to repair it being a clean install.
If you are still bent on plugging the plug on Cortana’s capabilities in Windows 10, there are ways to go about that. You may take away the various tools it uses to find out about you, or you can completely swap it off.
Prevent Cortana from knowing you
First, let’s head into Cortana’s configurations to cut off all the split ways it displays your computer patterns. Here’s how:
- Click the search box or the Cortana icon next to the Start key.
- Open Cortana’s settings panel with the gear icon.
- In the settings screen, turn off every toggle from On to Off.
- Next, scroll to the very top of the settings panel, and click on Change what Cortana knows about me in the cloud.
- Microsoft will fetch a page from the Internet called Personal Information in the same Start panel.
- When it loads, scroll to the very bottom, and hit Clear.
To serve you better, Cortana collects data about your typing and talking, as well. If you’d like to turn that off, follow these steps:
- Hit the Start key.
- Click the Settings gear icon.
- Select Privacy.
- In the left panel, look for Speech, inking & typing.
- Click Stop getting to know me.
Remember, turning this off will also disable dictation across Home windows 10. If that’s a service you rely on, then you need to endure Windows ‘getting to know you’.
Switch off Cortana completely
Once you’ve been through the steps above, Cortana won’t react to your tone. But it’s still working in the backdrop, hanging around to be asked.
To eliminate it completely, you must do more. With regards to the version of House windows 10 you utilize – Home, Pro, or Organization – the steps will be just a bit different.
How to disable Cortana on Glass windows 10 Pro
- Hit the Start key, search for Edit group policy, and open it.
- Navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Search.
- Find Allow Cortana, and double-click to open it.
- Click Disabled, and then hit OK.
How to disable Cortana on Windows 10 Home
The process is slightly trickier, and involves editing the Windows Registry. If you’re not comfortable with this process, we suggest taking a backup, or setting a restore point.
- Hit the Start Key, search for regedit, and open it.
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Policies > Microsoft > Windows.
- Right-click the Windows directory, and choose New > Key. Type in Windows Search, and hit enter.
- Select Windows Search. In the right-hand side pane, right-click in the empty area and choose New > DWORD (32-bit) Value. Type in AllowCortana, and hit enter.
- Double-click AllowCortana, and type in 0 under Value Data.
Restart your computer, and Cortana should now be gone. Instead of “Ask me anything”, the new search box will only say “Search Windows”.
Did you have any trouble following any of the above steps? Let us know via the comments below.